Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Little "Closet" Cleaning

In preparation to bring our little adopted daughter home, I've been very busy trying to create some space and order in our home.  It's been quite a task and thankfully I've got some great friends helping me along the way.  Today I have spent the entire day devoted to the task of cleaning out my bedroom closet.  Pulling out junk that has fallen behind the clothes racks, under the dresser and shoved in every inch of space. Some good stuff was salvaged but I'm embarrassed to say just how much trash was hiding in the dark corners.  How'd that stuff get in there anyway?  Well, I got my bags out (one for charity, one for re-sale and one for trash) and sorted through every nook and cranny.  Every article was scrutinized.  Do I need this?  Should I hang onto that Beatles T shirt?  How can I let go of my comfy sleep shorts!  Maybe I should keep those jeans.  I know someday I'll get back into those. 

Well, I'm happy and probably a little too proud, but my closet looks great!  Straight out of a magazine!  And what a great feeling!  All organized and peaceful.  I'm confident my mornings will be much less chaotic.

When I sat down to read my Psalms for the night, this one leapt off the pages and into my wee little brain.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;

Try me, and know my anxieties;

And see if there is any wicked way in me,

And lead me in the way everlasting.
 
Psalm 139:23
 
Our Father knows every little nook and cranny in the closet of our hearts and minds.  He made us!  He knows where to look and find the good stuff and the not so good stuff.  I find it comforting to know that David and I are not that different.  He knew that he had some "cleaning out" to do and he knew who could help him reach those dark corners and get rid of the junk he was hanging onto.  Like David, I must call on the Father to help me "clean my closet" and loosen my grip on the stuff I don't need.  Only my loving Father can restore order and peace in my heart and keep me moving closer to Him. 
 
Dear Father, I ask you to shine your light into the darkest corners of my heart and encourage me to fill my trash bag with the junk that keeps me away from you.  Help me to make more space in my heart and mind and fill it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share?